Press Releases

Late Cancellation of China Ladies Open

November 11, 2017

Beijing, China: The 2017 China Ladies Open has been cancelled at late notice.

Due to an adjustment in its marketing strategy, title sponsor Hyundai Motor Group has chosen to temporarily not renew its commitment to the event that had been scheduled to take place from December 15-17.

“We are grateful to the Hyundai Motor Group for its support of the China Ladies Open since 2010,” said Jennifer Lee, the China LPGA Tour’s Managing Director. “We will respect Hyundai’s marketing strategy.”

In 2006, the China Ladies Open was founded through the joint efforts of the General Administration of Sport of China, the China Golf Association, China LPGA Tour and Korea LPGA Tour.

Since then, the national Open has been co-sanctioned between the China LPGA Tour and Korea LPGA Tour, creating a precedent for golf-related cultural exchange between the two countries.

The China Ladies Open is the highest-level tournament for Chinese women golfers and the eldest ladies professional event in China’s golfing history.

Hyundai Motor Group has been an important partner of the China Ladies Open since 2010. In the past seven years, the Open has been continuously improving the tournament system and the prize money has increased, attracting many top players from the China LPGA and Korea LPGA Tours.

It has become known as the ‘cradle of world champions’ with Shin Ji-yaiRyu So-yeon, Feng ShanshanKim Hyo-joo and Park Sung-hyun among those who have teed-up in the China Ladies Open.

Lee said: “Circumstances have arisen that will force us to change the event schedule but it is our belief that this challenging situation can make the China LPGA Tour stronger going forward. The stable development of events is the goal for all tournaments. We hope for a bright future for the China Ladies Open.”

 

Share