Though the first golf course built outside Great Britain was in India in the year 1829, the actual wave of modern golf development only hit Asia in the 1960s some 130 years later.
How big is the Asian golf industry? With the emergence of new golf markets within Asia, many believe the Asian golf industry is a very big one, with room for tremendous growth. One estimates the total number of golf courses in Asia is around 6,000 with many more new courses in various stages of development.
With a group of stakeholders committed to help develop and lead the growth of the Asian golf industry, the Asian Golf Industry Federation was formed and incorporated in August 2009. It is a not-for-profit regional organisation with a distinguished Member Roster representing leaders in the Asian golf industry including golf course and club suppliers and professional support services, and golf course architects, to golf real estate and development companies.
- To effectively communicate with all members and all parties associated with the golf industry to deliver the Federation’s objectives.
- To provide educational programmes (special events, seminars and workshops) and materials to meet the diverse educational needs of the Federation’s membership base and external stakeholders.
- To conduct research that benefits the golf industry as a whole in Asia.
- To act as a clearing house for information and market intelligence through newsletters and the Federation’s website.
- To provide access to the Federation’s networking platform of decision makers in the Asian golf industry.
- To address key issues relevant to the golf industry such as the protection of intellectual property, environmental sustainability and growth of the game.